Bahrain Visa Requirements

Bahrain Visa Requirements


Citizens of the USA, most EU countries, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Norway and Switzerland can obtain a visit visa on arrival for BD5 or US$13.25. This is normally for two weeks, but US and EU nationals can get three month visas for the same fee. Visit visas can be renewed once from within Bahrain, but any further renewals require exit and re-entry. Citizens from all other countries require visas prior to arrival in Bahrain. To live in Bahrain, all expatriates must be sponsored. The majority of expatriates coming to the country are sponsored by their employer for the purpose of work and residence.

Most people are recruited from overseas and your employer will arrange for your entry visa before you arrive. You must also have a work permit to work in Bahrain. People wishing to visit or work in Bahrain would now be able to know if they are eligible for a visa, apply and even view its status electronically without the need of being present in person. The Bahraini government is trying through these services to help people get their visa applications processed in the fastest time possible without any delays as requirements are clearly stated for the e-visa to be issued.

You can determine if you are eligible for any visa and what's required online:
Online Visa eligibility -

In case the information is invalid or unacceptable, procedures can be done manually following the below mentioned steps.

Visiting and Tourist Visas

Two Weeks Tourist Visas

Tourist visas are issued for stays of two weeks to citizens of the European Union (EU), Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand and the USA. Applicants must possess valid, up-to-date passports and a return or onward ticket. A visa fee of BD5 ($12) is applied and can be obtained at entry at the Bahrain International Airport.

Tourist visas don’t allow visitors to engage in any employment.

72 hour/7 day Visas

Obtained on arrival at the Bahrain International Airport or at the King Fahad Causeway. In addition to a passport, the passenger must have a confirmed return/onward journey ticket for the visa application to be processed.

Current Requirements to Live and Work in Bahrain

Anyone wishing to live and legally work in Bahrain will need to apply for the following visas and permits. Employers are advised to arrange and process necessary documents to the Labour Market Regulatory Authority prior to the arrival of their employees and dependents.
Find Jobs in Bahrain

Work Visa, submitted to and issued by Labour Market Regulatory Authority.

1. Work visas are issued based on the Non-Objection Certificate (N.O.C) issued by the General Directorate of Nationality, Passports and Residence in the Kingdom of Bahrain.

2. Working Visas cannot be issued without taking prior approval from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


  • Visa application form
  • Employee’s passport
  • Passport size photograph
  • Sponsorship Letter: a letter of employment indicating employer’s name/organization, commercial registration number, employee’s capacity, salary, contract duration, employee’s name, birth date and nationality
  • Copy of the contract
  • Health record from an authorised clinic
  • BD100 fee

Residency Permit (Family Visa), submitted to Labour Market Regulatory Authority and issued by General Department for Nationality & Passport Residence.


  • Application form
  • Employee & family’s passport copies
  • Employee’s sponsorship letter
  • Employee’s contract
  • Family health record from an authorised clinic
  • BD22 fee per applicant

CPR Card (Identification Card), submitted to and issued by Central Informatics Organization.


  • Employee (or spouse) passport
  • Sponsorship letter stating names of dependents
  • Marriage certificate (for spouse) and birth certificate (for children)
  • BD1 fee per applicant


Bahrain's Economic Development Board offers an investor facilitation service to first-time investors who are interested in setting up a business in Bahrain. This service includes acting as the first point of contact to the Kingdom, understanding the objectives of investors, providing them with information regarding the relevant procedures for setting up business, and helping them to form a network of contacts in Bahrain.

Passport Services

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Bahrain and its missions abroad offer a number of passport-related services.

Listed here are the general procedures you can expect per service, however be sure to review the website of, or contact, the mission you are visiting as requirements and fees do vary.

To renew a passport:

  • Complete the passport renewal request form and attach (1) current 4x6 photograph with white background
  • Visit your nearest consulate or embassy, with a letter addressed to the Head of the Mission requesting a passport extension to enable you to travel.
  • You will then be asked to send the request to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in order to receive approval.

Note: Passports with 10-year validity or older cannot be renewed and must be replaced

To replace a passport:

  • Complete the passport replacement form and attach the original passport with (2) current 4x6 photographs with white background, and 10 BD in fees for passport replacement.
  • Visit your nearest embassy in person and make a written request. In the event you are in a country or city with no mission headquartered nearby please do call the nearest mission as this requirement may occasionally be waived
  • Draft a formal letter to the head of the mission requesting the issuance of a new passport
  • All documents will be sent by the embassy or consulate together with the formal letter of replacement request to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which in turn will transfer the request to the General Directorate of Nationality, Passports and Residence

To replace or renew a passport of a child:

  • Complete the replacement or renewal form and attach a passport accompanied by (2) 4x6 photograph with white background. Applications for replacement should also attach 10 BD in fees.
  • The father is required to write a formal letter addressed to the Director of the General Directorate of Nationality, Passports and Residence as well as another letter to the head of the Mission requesting the replacement or renewal
  • The embassy or consulate will send the documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for approval

In the event that your passport is lost or stolen:

  • Immediately go to the nearest police station and get a formal lost or stolen passport report
  • Provide a written letter addressed to the Head of the Mission requesting the replacement of a lost or stolen passport.
  • Expect to pay 50 Bahraini Dinar in fees for this service

Note: You must show up in person to the General Directorate of Nationality Passports and Residence in Bahrain in order for a new passport to be issued.

The embassy or consulate will issue passage document (Laissez Passer) valid only for one trip to Bahrain in order to facilitate your entry

Good Conduct Certificate


  • Official stamp of certifying authority must be sealed at the space provided where the applicant is fingerprinted.
  • Attach two photos with a blue background.
  • Attach a copy of the passport and the residence permit which are issued by the General Directorate of Nationality, Passports and Residence in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
  • Certificate issuance fee (1 BD).
  • Attach a copy of your new passport .


Authentication (Apostille)

An Apostille is a certificate issued by a designated authority in a country where the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, Apostille Convention, is in force.

Apostilles authenticate the seals and signatures of officials on public documents such as birth certificates, notarials, court orders, or any other document issued by a public authority, so that they can be recognized in foreign countries that are parties to the Convention.

In Kingdom of Bahrain, Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the only designated Competent Authorities to issue Apostilles.

Apostille Certificate fee is BD 20.


1. Legalization Office at Manama Center
Sunday – Thursday, from 8:00 A.M. to 1:30 P.M. 

2. Legalization Office at Labour Market Regulatory Authority
Sunday – Thursday, from 8:00 A.M. to 1:30 P.M.

Ordinary Authentication

If you need to legalize a document issued by an office in the Kingdom or abroad, this can be done through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of other States concerned abroad.

This can be done through missions of the Kingdom of Bahrain abroad, and missions accredited to the Kingdom.

  • Each governmental agency will ratify original documents issued by them.
  • The document must include a stamp and signature accredited in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs's Legalization Division. You can do this at our Legalization Division.
  • In order to ratify a document originating outside of the Kingdom of Bahrain, the documents' owner is required to ratify it at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the documents country of origin, and then at an embassy or consulate of the Kingdom there.
  • Bear in mind that any modification of, or addition to, any of the information contained in the document will annul ratification.

Other Services

If a friend or a relative dies while abroad, your nearest consulate will be ready to help you with the procedures involved in registering the death and shipping the body home.

  • It is essential that you register the death in the country where the person dies. This can usually be done through the Ministry of Health of the country of residence, however make sure to call us if you are confused as to where to do this.
  • Once you have obtained the death certificate be sure to get it ratified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the death had occurred. Once you have done so, get it ratified by your closest Bahraini mission.
  • At this point we will be able to help you find the best possible route of getting the body back home, and inform you about any costs this might entail.

Throughout this process please do call your nearest consulate if you have any query or need any assistance. We will be available to support you as best as we can.

The Consular Department issues transit and landing permits of governmental aircraft for the royal flight and air transportation for which the Bahrain Defense Force is responsible.

The department also issues transit and landing permits for governmental and military aircrafts of other countries when crossing airspace of the Kingdom of Bahrain, or landing in its airports.

The Consular Department also follows up the issuance of permits to millenarian and governmental vessels wishing to visit the Kingdom and berthed in Mina Salman port through the coordination with the customs, ports, free zones and Bahrain Defense Force.

Personal safety

In order to ensure your personal safety we have compiled a set of basic guidelines that we advise you and any companions to follow:

  • Ensure that your passport is valid for no less than six months.
  • Confirm that you have the required visas to any destination you are travelling to, and ensure they are valid.
  • Make sure to confirm that all your bookings for travel and accommodation are in order.
  • Make sure you have brought all relevant travel documents, and any necessary personal effects.
  • Take enough money for the trip as well as some back up funds in case of emergency, in a mix of cash and travelers cheques, making sure to note the numbers of cheques before you go.
  • Make sure to keep your passport and any copies of your travel documents secure at all times. If you are staying at a hotel use the safety deposit box if available. In case of loss or theft you should immediately file a report at the nearest police station and file your copy of the police report with one of the Kingdom’s diplomatic and consular missions. In the event that the Kingdom does not have any missions near to your location, you can instead file the police report with the mission of any member state of the Gulf Cooperation Council. In case of loss, please refer to our Passport Services section for details of what you should do.
  • Know and respect the laws and regulations of the country that you are visiting, including border regulations. For instance, some countries might limit the amount of currency or money you can enter or leave with.
  • Be Safe. Avoid suspicious or dangerous areas. Rely on common sense and your instincts to stay clear of trouble. Don’t take risks that you would not do at home.
  • In the event you face any problem, we advise that you immediately contact the nearest diplomatic mission or consulate of the Kingdom of Bahrain.

If the Kingdom of Bahrain does not maintain a mission where you are, contact the mission of one of the GCC Member States in order to request assistance.

Remember we are here to help you or put you in touch with people who can.

If you still have questions or unclear about anything, don’t hesitate to contact The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and missions of the Kingdom of Bahrain abroad or contact your nearest embassy or consulate in case of emergency.


What is Wejhaty ?

Wejhaty is a free service provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to assist all Bahraini citizens planning, living or studying abroad.

It allows to register and update your personal information to communicate in case of emergency (Natural disaster, Civil unrest or Emergency Evacuation), updating Bahrainis living or studying abroad of any relevant new rules and regulations, receiving updates/feedback from Bahrainis abroad about any relevant issues, and communication of Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) through its embassies around the world with the Bahraini citizens abroad.

How do I register in Wejhaty ?

It only takes a few minutes to register your contact details and travel plans.

Wejhaty is targeted only for Bahraini citizens.

You will need to register an e-Key. Nationality authentication will be done based on e-Key and Personal Number from CIO.

Source: Kingdom of Bahrain Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Please note:
if you would like to add information to the above, please send us your feedback. Contact